Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Ninja Squirrels

So, I learned a valuable lesson the other day - don't leave your open sliding door unattended when you live in the country. Otherwise, Ninja Squirrels will prance about, seeking nuggets of nutty goodness - and anything else that might be lying around.

I was upstairs engrossed in a video game (many of my friends reading this are probably saying "so what else is new?"). During a break, I came down to get something to drink and the screen to the sliding door was ajar. Immediately, the worst scenes from every horror flick I'd ever watched streamed through my conciousness, making it VERY difficult to contain that inner redheaded school girl. I closed the screen, then carefully stalked through the house, looking for ANYTHING that might have gotten in.

Ten minutes later, my blood pressure was returning to normal when I determined that nothing was in the house with me, when I saw the kitchen garbage can had its lid askew. Then it dawned on me that something had smelled the rich aroma eminating from the repository (OK, OK - give me a break - trash day was 2 days away!), got the screen open, then plunged head first through the trashcan lid to retrieve a prize before scampering back through the screen when they heard me coming down the stairs.

I just want to know where the squirrels have their black ninja outfits made...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

and what makes you think that a black squirrel-like critter is a squirrel in a ninja suit? hmmm...did it have a white stripe down its back?

Damn...I do so miss country life!

walkman

Anonymous said...

bah...dont hit the "Back" button on your browser...else this silly site will publish your comment again...

I hate technology...I LOVE the woods

walkman

Jeff McCartney said...

OMG - Storm doors? Egad. It took me 8 hours just to get 2 dead bolts attached to the house. You want Storm Doors too???

Heh. :) Yep - my neighbors just saw a VERY large stag the other day in their back yard, not to mention a Bobcat. I've been meticulous about stocking up on (and using) Wasp killer - I've already gotten rid of one nest, and killed my first white-faced wasp - Gad, they're HUGE! Hmm... I think there's a blog on that story somewhere.

As for "black" critters - I haven't seen any polecats yet. :) My other neighbor's dogs probably keep them away - the only good thing about my wacko neighbor - and another good topic for a blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffer, I'm voting for the Chipmunk Commando Squad - they're faster and sneakier than squirrels.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I can hear your internal redheaded ego scream on the other end of the state when a tick latches on to your leg. If the macroscopic life disturbs the redhead... !Maybe the shrieking will shatter their will to clutch and suck your instantly frozen blood from your veins.
Sincerely,
New Hartford Fauna Survivor

Jeff McCartney said...

I like the idea of Commando Squirrels. :) Terrified of the concept of ticks... A neighbor had to have one surgically removed last week because it was embedded so deep. :P We don't have regular ticks - we have journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth ticks.

Anonymous said...

I vote for ninja chipmunks, as well. Being burrowers, they are much more likely to invade houses. My late Irish granny, who had a summer house in Poughkepsie, NY, had a running war against all chipmunks. If it weren't for the coyotes (and Barry's cat Angel) I would ask if you would like to foster Steve & Makonny's Kishkan for a while. Kishkan (like any card-carrying Maine Coon) really, REALLY wants to be an outdoor cat, which is not a good idea in our neighborhood (what with 24-hour truck traffic barreling down the street mere yards from our front door). Because we have to let the dogs out on a tediously frequent basis, Kishkan gets outside anyways. She has taken to killing things & leaving them on the back step... field mice, a baby bunny, and yesterday: a chipmunk. Chipmunks are fast & tricky, so this was a genuine accomplishment. She was so proud of her trophy that she actually sat on the back stoop & yowled for me to come out & admire her. (I told her that I LIKE chipmunks, but she only sneered at my naivete.) I'm not sure if the little corpses are supposed to be 'offerings' so that we'll stop being all snitty about her comings & goings, or if she's just warning us that those who interfere with Her Royal Catness could end up sleeping with the chipmunks... Best wishes, Anne Laurie (P.S. Hmm. Thinking about her general outlook & attitude, maybe Kishkan is the reincarnation of my late Irish granny! Granny was NOT your sweet little ol' lady -- she intimidated bikers & NYC street gangs.)

Jeff McCartney said...

Heh. I'm not sure how Barry's cat would react to another cat just yet. He's very spoiled, and used to having the run of the house himself. Also, we need to actually MOVE him from Providence to Chaplin, a major trauma in of itself.

Also - not sure how I would feel about "presents" being left for me on my porch steps. *shudder* Angel is also declawed (Barry got him that way) so isn't going outside anytime soon to leave trophies around. :)