Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Wacko Neighbors, or Beware the Mirrors

So my initial reaction to the house when I first was shown it was that it was perfect in all aspects - land size, house size, location - except for one: the wacko neighbor. Here I was, standing in this cute house with an open floor plan, cute farmer's porch on the front, and a gorgeous bay window in the dining area...that looks directly into a KEEP OUT sign painted in red letters on a white background. In addition, he had 3 full length mirrors propped around his yard, all pointing to the new house. "What's up with that?" I asked my realtor. She shrugged, as baffled as I was.


Neighbor's Keep Out Sign Posted by Hello

Needless to say, my initial reaction was to avoid the house. But 3 weeks later, when Barry and I were going from house to house in the area with my real estate agent, I stopped by - mistakenly thinking in my blur of properties that I had seen that it was a different lot than it was. So when we pulled up, I apologized, saying that I must have switched lots in my mind and didn't want to bother him with the house that had the wacko neighbor.

Well, Barry would hear none of that. The house was too cute and too perfect for us, and basically he emphasized that the neighbor wouldn't be a problem because he could "take care of him." I didn't want to know what he meant by that because I might find out one day. :)

In the end, we bought the house, despite the sign which continues to face the property. But as summer creeps upon us, it becomes less and less visible as the overgrowth between our properties takes over. And the mirrors? Well, the neighbor finally moved them and assembled them into a screen-like contraption and placed it within his garden that actually looks really pretty there. I still haven't met them, but then again with the signs, I don't expect I will anytime soon...

1 comment:

Jeff McCartney said...

I haven't seen any stickers (NRA or otherwise), but they do have a strange barn-like structure in the back where they entertain. My bet is that they distribute kool-aid and discuss how the spaceship is coming to take them away...